Horace Woodward & Co. The firm was established c. 1850 in Birmingham by George Cartwright and Joseph Hirons, trading as Cartwright & Hirons. In 1853 Horace Woodward became partner and the business became Chartwright, Hirons & Woodward, active electroplate manufacturers and silversmiths at 138/139 Great Charles Street, Birmingham, with London showrooms at 41 Hatton Garden. In 1859 Joseph Hirons left the partnership and the firm changed its name to Cartwright & Woodward. In 1865, after George Cartwright’s retirement, the business was continued by Horace Woodward under the name Horace Woodward & Co.
In 1883 Horace Woodward left the company and the business was continued by Edgar Finley and Hugh Taylor, maintaining the same name until 1893 when the firm became a limited liability company Horace Woodward & Co Ltd. In the same year the production was transferred to Atlas Works, Paradise Street, Birmingham and additional premised were opened in 1903 at Vyse Street, Birmingham. In 1919 the firm was acquired by Adie Brothers Ltd.
The firm exhibited at the London (1851 and 1862), Paris (1867) and Melbourne (1881) Exhibitions.
The firm used a figural trade mark (the shape of Atlas into a lozenge) registered in 1876, often used in its electroplate production but rarely present in its sterling silver production.
Categorised in: Uncategorised
This post was written by joecollinson